Anyone who knows me knows I have a sick little obsession with Obituary pictures. Is it horrible? Some people may think so, but I don’t.
The first thing I do when I open up the paper everyday is head straight for the obits. First I make sure I don’t know anyone who died…(I have to show a little decorum people!) then I take a good hard look at the pictures. More often than not, I find a winner and it makes my day.
I mean seriously, who picks some of these??? Do their families dislike them that much or is that really the best picture they could dig up that shows they world who the recently deceased really were?!?
I’ve really seen some great ones over the years:
- The guy whose family used his prison picture (jumpsuit and all)
- The lady with the wayyy too small sailor’s hat teetering on her coif
- The people who have looked like Biggie Small’s clone (I cannot believe how many times this guy has died!)
- The ladies with eyebrows drawn all the way up their forehead that always seem to look surprised.
- The people who are 98 years old but have their HS graduation picture on their obit. (Damn, you haven’t aged a bit!)
- The lady who was looking sideways out of the corner of her eye. (She is still the reigning title holder for “Most Creepy”)
-The guy with one eye.
-And my all time favorite…the guy whose family put in a pic of him with a patriotic baseball cap superimposed on his head…sideways no less. (His b-day was the 4th of July, so they decided to make it jazzy, I guess)
If they are especially awesome, I actually cut them out and keep them in my ‘funny folder’. If I’m having a bad day, I just peruse through that baby and poof, bad mood – gone! I’d really love to scan a few of the aforementioned and put them up here, but with my luck, I’d get sued.
It’s a little abnormal, I know…but it really does make my day. Over the years, I have shared this joy with a lot of my friends. At first they say things like I’m sick and that’s bad karma (blah, blah)…but guess what – it’s contagious. If they come across a good one, they always share it with me. It’s almost like a contest at this point. We all also have hysterical poses we would like used in ours (someday years and years and years from now), but that’s a whole nother blog post…
So, go ahead…think I’m sick and going straight to hell…that’s fine – but now that you’ve read this post, you’re gonna do it too.
Don’t worry, I’ll save you a seat and we can be toasty together…